- Published on Wednesday, 09 November 2011 06:29
- Written by HU WebAdmin
- Hits: 1107
School of Biosystems and Environmental Engineering
The school of Biosystems and Environmental Engineering is composed of two bachelor programs and two masters degree programs. The two bachelor programs are BSc degree in Biosystems Engineering and BSc degree in Environmental Engineering. While the two Masters degree programs are MSc in Water Resources Engineering and Management and MSc in Soil and Water Conservation Engineering.
The mission of the school of Biosystems and Environmental Engineering is to produce qualified manpower in the area of Biosystems Engineering & Environmental Engineering who will be actively involved in planning, design, implementation and management in the respective professions and to produce high level qualified manpower in the area of Water Resources Engineering and Soil and Water Conservation Engineering who will be competent to design, develop and manage natural resources in the respective professions.
The vision of the school is to see enough and internationally competent man power on the area of Environmental Engineering, Water Resources Engineering and Soil and Water Conservation Engineering, Biosystems Engineering professions so that the country will develop in a sustainable and environmentally friendly way.The profiles of the four programs are outlined below.
Biosystems Engineering BSc program
Advancement in agricultural science is greatly perhaps unbelievably complemented by engineering or rather by technical support from physical applied sciences. Engineering by itself is the science by which the properties of matter and the source of energy in nature are made useful to mankind in structures, machines and products. Biosystems Engineering is then the art and science of the application of engineering to the field of agriculture and agro processing.
Biosystems Engineering (BEng) embraces
- Study of mechanical power sources, engineering of tools, implements and machines, mechanization and processing; robotics, systems and control engineering,
- Study of natural resource conservation, management and sustainable utilization and information technology application in agriculture,
- Study of civil structures in the farm, soils, irrigation, hydraulic and hydraulic structures.
The major task of Biosystems Engineering (BEng) discipline is to apply technological and engineering tools that help to increase the agricultural production and efficiency, improve product quality, while preserving the quality of the environment. The main intention is to practice appropriate technologies in agriculture under conditions of scarce resources, develop and export new varieties of agricultural products, agriculture-related industrial products and systems, and advanced know-how.
Professional and graduate profile
Graduates of Biosystems Engineering:
- perform tasks as designing, planning, supervising and managing irrigation and drainage schemes,
- perform tasks as planning, supervising and managing flood and water control systems,
- develop ways to conserve and manage soil and water resources with the use of biological and physical interventions,
- apply engineering and technology to agricultural product handling and processing,
- design and manage farm implements and machineries,
- play a decisive role in watershed management
- plan, supervise and manage the building of farmstead structures
- perform tasks as planning, supervising and managing renewable energy resources,
- perform environmental impact assessment
- conduct applied research and interpret results and implement relevant practices based on the felt needs of the society,
- develop ways to improve the processing of feed and forage
A large percentage of Biosystems Engineering (BEng) graduates work in:
- Research institutes, academia or for government agencies such as in Agroprocessing industries, the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development,
- Ministry of water Resources Development, Environmental Protection Agency, Regional Irrigation and Drainage Authorities and other Non-Governmental Organizations.
- Many are employed by manufacturers of agricultural machinery and equipment; working in production, sales, management, research and development
- Next >>